Part 1: Statement
Declaration of commitment
Durham Foundry (Sheffield) Ltd is a jobbing iron foundry supplying iron castings to the engineering, decorative and architectural markets in grey, ductile and alloy irons up to 1,000kg. As part of our environmental strategy, we are committed to responsible energy management and will practice energy efficiency throughout all our premises, plant and equipment, wherever it is cost-effective.
Our policy is to control energy consumption to:
- Avoid unnecessary expenditure
- Improve cost-effectiveness, productivity and working conditions
- Protect the environment
- Prolong the useful life of fossil fuels
- By participating in our industry sector energy efficiency initiatives
Our long-term objectives are to:
- Buy fuels at the most economic cost
- Use fuels as efficiently as possible
- Reduce the amount of pollution, particularly greenhouse gas emissions, caused by our energy consumption
- Reduce wherever possible our dependence on fossil fuels through the use of renewable energy
To gain control over our energy consumption by reviewing and improving our purchasing and operating practices.
Part 2: Responsibilities & Processes
The Managing Director will be responsible for tracking and monitoring energy consumption, expenditure, coordinating energy management activities and formulating and implementing energy management policy. The Managing Director will liaise with the Office Manager, Production Foreman, Chargehands and Shop Committee to carry out the above tasks.
Purchasing and Capital Projects
As far as is reasonably practicable, all products and services will be purchased from suppliers who can demonstrate a commitment to improved energy efficiency both in the products they supply and in thier own management structures.
Lines of communication
Formal communication on matters relating to the control of energy consumption will be made in writing and can include general letters to all employees, specific instructions for certain job activities, letters to suppliers and requests for information from advisory bodies. This list is not exhaustive.
Part 3: Energy Management Plan
The number of staff employed in energy management, their mix of skills, and the amount of investment (6 % of our annual expenditure on energy) correspond with the demands of these activities.
All energy management activities will be subject to periodic assessment and annual review in preparation for inclusion in the annual budget.
During the coming year the following energy management activities will be carried out in order of priority.
- Energy survey to be carried out through the Carbon Trust and an action plan devised from the results
- Carbon Footprinting to be carried out through the Carbon Trust and an action plan to be devised from the results
M C Naylor,
Need help with your casting project?
Let’s arrange a no-obligation chat about the best way to getting started.
Or Call 0114 249 4977
Free Casting Guide
Need your castings manufactured and delivered on time and to budget?
Discover how in our FREE Castings Guide.
Download Your Free Copy
Enter your contact details below so we know where to send your 5½ project tips.
We hate spam too. Your personal information will never be passed on.